words: Splendor paternae gloriae, Ambrose of Milan, c. 340–397, composite
music: PUER NOBIS NASCITUR; adapt. Michael Praetorius, 1609
arranged by Greg Scheer
1. O splendor of God’s glory bright,
From light eternal bringing light;
Thou Light of Life, light’s living spring,
True Day, all days illumining.
2. The Father sends his Son, our Lord,
To be his bright and shining Word;
Come, Lord, ride out your gleaming course
And be our Dawn, our light’s true source.
3. The dawn begins to speed her way,
Let the true Dawn himself display,
The Son with God the Father one,
And God the Father in the Son.
4. Come, Holy Sun of heavenly love,
Shower down your radiance from above,
And shed the Holy Spirit’s ray
On all we think or do today.
5. O joyful be the passing day
With thoughts as clear as morning’s ray.
With faith like noontide shining bright,
Our souls unshadowed by the night.
6. All praise to God the Father be,
All praise, eternal Son, to Thee,
Whom with the Spirit we adore
Forever and forevermore.