tune: Nun Komm, Der Heiden Heiland by Martin Luther
text by Ambrose of Milan
arranged by Greg Scheer for Carlos Colón and Baylor University
Though this is an instrumental piece, it’s helpful to know the lyrics that go with the hymn tune:
1. Savior of the nations, come,
virgin’s Son, make here thy home!
Marvel now, o heav’n and earth,
that the Lord chose such a birth.
2. Not of flesh and blood the Son,
offspring of the Holy One;
born of Mary ever blest,
God in flesh is manifest.
3. Wondrous birth! O wondrous Child
of the Virgin undefiled!
Though by all the world disowned,
still to be in heav’n enthroned.
4. From the Father forth he came
and returneth to the same,
captive leading death and hell,
high the song of triumph swell!
5. Thou, the Father’s only Son,
hast o’er sin the vict’ry won.
Boundless shall thy kingdom be;
when shall we its glories see?
6. Praise to God the Father sing.
Praise to God the Son, our King.
Praise to God the Spirit be
ever and eternally.